Thread: Help with an insulated camera box - high temperature

Associate Engineer

Help with an insulated camera box - high temperature

Hi All,

I am new to this forum and am in need of some help with a problem at work.

Basically we have need to inspect the inside of an industrial chimney while it is online and need to come up with some form of insulated box with windows for cameras which would be lowered insude the flue to record any defects. We have had a few botched efforts and I'd like a few pointers on how to go about calculating insulation thicknesses, what kind of allowances to make for the camera windows (I am thinking double glazing the windows would give some insulation) and how to calculate how long the box can stay in the flue before the temperature inside cooks the cameras. We're looking at designing it for up to around 300 degrees C and the cameras we are proposing to use are good up to 50 degrees C.

We're looking to make it as lightweight as possible too so that it can be easily manhandled at the top of a chimney.

Any guidance you can give me would be much appreciated, currently at a loss.

Insulating? You should consider searching the internet for "high temperature resistant camera".
    Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.