Thread: How can I deconstruct this project in a safe way?

Associate Engineer

How can I deconstruct this project in a safe way?

What I would like to do is teach my kids how to be resourceful but in a thoughtful / safe way.

The project I am thinking about is to make a ball that will screw onto the end of an air hose and can be used to clean out our very long clothes dryer duct.

I know I can buy an item like this for cheap like LINK REMOVED but that is not the point. I want to use this "easy" project to show my kids how to think and learn more myself in the process.

I found where someone did what I am looking to do with a foosball at this site LINK REMOVED but they used little to no science.

What I would like to do is look at air flow rates from my compressor and then try to calculate and comprehend the "pressure" that will come out of X number of 1/16th inch holes in some object attached to the air hose.

I would like to start off with some materials that will fail in a semi safe way to bring in the topic of material choices. I was thinking of a potato then ping-pong ball then racket ball then something stronger but with not enough threads, or something with enough thread holding strength but the material blows out the top, etc.

What I would love to eventually get to in this process is an attempt to 3D print some of their designs and have them test out or experiment with design options. We don't have a 3D printer but we do have a STEAM Lab in our small town where we can work with printers. I think the printers are MakerBot ABS printers but not 100% on that.

I realize this is actually a big project to do correctly in a safe manner so that is why I turned to you all.

If this is not the right place for this topic would you please redirect me?

Regards,

Pippin

PS: here is the compressor I have: LINK REMOVED
    which does have an adjustable regulator on it.
    Last edited by Kelly_Bramble; 03-30-2016 at 02:05 PM.

Associate Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by Pippin View Post
    LINK REMOVED
    Sorry Kelly, I did not know I should not put links. I will make sure to follow this rule going forward.