Thread: Handling Lithium

Associate Engineer

Confused Handling Lithium

I am designing a machine for handling lithium, but Lithium can not be touched by metal, Does any body knows what kind of plastic can be used for making tooling for machine, it should be very hard wearing and tough, thanks

Is it ALL metals, or just steel?
    I designed a machine once that manufactured Polaroid film packages. It included a corrosive paste that would dissolve stainless steel overnight. We used several different kinds of plastic and titanium fasteners. But we got the most use from aluminum with a special coating on it. Frankly I can't remember what it was right now. That was 15 or 20 years ago. I'm sure there are some better coatings available now. In my current position we recently used aluminum coated with Magnaplate HCR with good results for a certain application. It wasn't lithium, but its just an example of the wide variety of coatings available today. You might look into it.

Associate Engineer
    I think its all metals and even can not be touched with bare hands, is there any reference for different coating that I can use, thanks for your advise.

How much research have you really done here? A brief Google search produced lots of hits with Lithium and Aluminum in them. Saw many references to some Lithium coatings directly on Aluminum. Sounds like a pretty good resistance to me. Check thomasregister.com for companies that provide aluminum coatings. Call some of them and see what their engineers say about your application.

Associate Engineer
    actually I did some research but I am based in UK and there is not so many company's who can offer special coating, I contacted couples of them and no success,