Thread: Low friction ratchet mechanism

Associate Engineer

Low friction ratchet mechanism

I need a mechanism that will allow a wheel to coast freely on an axle for as long a time as possible. The wheel has to be able to spin in only one direction. Basically, I want a freewheel mechanism like on a bicycle, but with better mounting options and lower friction. Are there are commercially available low-friction ratchets? Is there some other solution I haven't thought of? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Look into one-way needle bearings. I have used them successfully on several projects. They should be used in conjunction with standard bearings. You did not mention how much torque in the reverse direction must be resisted. That may be an issue. One source: http://www.mcmaster.com/#one-way-bearings/=122rv3u

Associate Engineer
    Thanks! It has to withstand the amount of torque a person pedaling a bicycle can exert. The wheel will always be free spinning though, it's never going to touch the ground.

Principle Engineer
    There are one way sprag clutches in automatic transmissions that are a beefier version of the one way roller units.

There are also spring clutches that grip in one direction for light loads