Thread: Join two links by pushing and creating revolute joint

Associate Engineer

Join two links by pushing and creating revolute joint

Hello Dear,

I am working on a problem for which I am not getting enough ideas to solve the problem in the best way as I am not from mechanical background.

Imagine, I have a link 'A', and one end of the link 'a1' is pivoted to z-axis so that this link can revolve around z-axis. There is another link 'B', parallel to z-axis (i.e. perpendicular to link 'A' ), and one end of this link 'b1' is connected to 'a2' (the other end of link 'A') using some kind of joint so that link 'B' can rotate around virtual axis perpendicular to link 'A' passing through 'a2'. Please refer the attached flash video VIDEO REMOVED (link 'A' is of color Blue and link 'B' is of color Red). You can also see in this video that I have further restricted the rotation of link 'B' but that is not very relevant.

My problem is, what kind of joint should I make between link 'A' and link 'B' so that link 'B' can be detatched easily just by applying manual force by hand, like plucking flower (and attached back after cleaning, again by applying simple force). Link 'A' will remain pivoted to z-axis though.

I have thought about the snap-fit with lever pins using simple bearing, but I am looking for more simpler solution so that the design can be synthesized with little cost and design is more intuitive.

Few design inputs:
    1. The length of links is not more that 20 mm
    2. The thickness of links is not more that 8 mm
    3. The material of these link is moulded resin
    4. The ratio of rotation/revolution of these links is 1:1 (i.e. when link 'A' revolves once around z-axis, the link 'B' rotates once around virtual axis)
    5. The rotational speed of link 'A' is not more that 100 rpm

Please help me with some reference materials (nomenclature, sketches, videos) as I am not from mechanical background. Thank you for reading this post.

Regards,
    Binu

Removed Video Link - Too much P0rn associated in surrounding links and previews.

Upload your video here: Engineering Videos and then attach link to this forum thread.
    Last edited by Kelly_Bramble; 04-24-2016 at 12:01 PM.