Thread: ASME GDTP technician test

ASME GDTP technician test

Does anyone know if the ASME GDTP technician test covers the 1994 or 2009 standard?

I don' want to study the wrong standard. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew T View Post
    Does anyone know if the ASME GDTP technician test covers the 1994 or 2009 standard?

I don' want to study the wrong standard. Thanks!
    I believe the 1994 standard... Contact ASME to verify.
    Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.

The ASME web site states over and over that the test is to the current version of the standard. Then I found one blurb that stated the committee is working on updating the test to the 2009 standard. So, the test is still written to the 1994 standard.

So now the question, for me, becomes to wait for the test to be updated or not. My understanding is that once the test is updated one will not be able to renew their certification to the old standard and would have to retake the test to the new standard. Am I wrong about this? I could not find anything about this on the AMSE website. Being that the 2009 standard has been out for at least 6 years one would think the updated test would be available soon. Or, does it mean that the test might never be updated?

I took and passed the senior GDTP test back in 1997. I was in the first crowd to so after the test and certification was introduced.

Even though I had significant (10 + years) experience applying GD&T I was more knowledgeable after actually studying the 1994 standard. Regardless of which standard is most current - you will apply and interpret the standard more accurate after your preparation for the ASME test. You will learn something...

Moreover, the 2009 standard is not much different than the 1994 standard.. If you can pass the ASME certification for the 1994 standard, when and if the 2009 certification test comes out preparation to pass the test should be easy.

To me - if you're serious about about the ASME certification just do it..
    Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.

Engineer
    My understanding is that once the test is updated one will not be able to renew their certification to the old standard and would have to retake the test to the new standard.