Thread: Software for GD&T Simulations and Analysis

Associate Engineer

Software for GD&T Simulations and Analysis

Hello guys,

Little bit of background first;
    I'm currently working on a concept in my company to work out the matter of GD&T. In my company it becomes more and more of a problem because people don't understand correct or misinterpret this tolerancing system. So my task is to come up with solutions how we could change that.

Now my question:

Does anybody know a good software for simulations and Analysis of GD&T?

I know about the Software VSA (Variation Systems Analysis) which would be able to simulate and analyze the GD&T as I want it to, but the Software contains so much more than I need and it seems to be incredibly complicated. (and expensive!)
    So what I’m searching for is a Software that is construed only for analyzing and simulating tolerances, if possible it should also be able to afterwards assemble those simulated parts with other parts, so you could see if an assembly works out the way you tolerated it. Or you should at least be able to export the simulated files into the CAD Inventor, which is the CAD System we work on in our company.
    So the Software should also be able to work with AutoDesk Inventor, or should be able to work with Step-files.

Do you guys have any idea if something like this exists? And if it does, do you have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance for your help!

In my company it becomes more and more of a problem because people don't understand correct or misinterpret this tolerancing system.

And running a simulation of tolerance variations with a program will not change this...

In general, good engineering design of mechanical tolerance mitigates a detail analysis of potential geometric variations. Personally, I have tries many tolerance analysis programs and did not see the value in the added effort..
    Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.

Associate Engineer
    Yes.. I know that the software itself won't change the problem of misinterpretations.. but that's only the tip of the iceberg. I was hoping that it would help with getting a feeling for the GD&T.
    My feeling is, that the problem of most design engineers with the GD&T is that they can’t exactly see what they are doing. Like If you have a normal two-point dimension with a tolerance you will know “with this tolerance it will get either a little bit shorter, or a little bit longer. But with the GD&T you can’t see the impacts of your tolerances so easily.

That’s where my idea comes in. I was hoping that if we (I’m gonna count myself in ) could simulate the GD&T that people would get a feeling for it, like they already have with normal tolerancing systems.
    Also I thought you could see better if you can open up the tolerances (which would reduce the costs) or even you’re gonna see that it won’t work out and you can change it before you lose manufacturing money for parts that won’t work.
    At the Moment we simulate those things extremely complicated in the Inventor. It’s exhausting. I feel like I invest weeks of work to simulate things, which I could easily simulate within some hours in an appropriate program…

Could you name one or two of those programs which suited you most?

Could you name one or two of those programs which suited you most?
    None... I have an excel spreadsheet method for calculating RMS fits..

At the Moment we simulate those things extremely complicated in the Inventor. It’s exhausting.
    And the results are likely worthless. Which is my point.

My feeling is, that the problem of most design engineers with the GD&T is that they can’t exactly see what they are doing.
    Simulating variations will likely confuse everyone including yourself..

I've wrote six book on the subject of GD&T, trained thousands on every continent on earth, applied GD&T in industry for over thirty years..

What you folks need is GD&T training, DFM/DFMA training and design for applications training and analysis.. Then, maybe try some software to simulate mechanical tolerance variations.

In today's modern design and engineering office - we are generally isolated from the manufacturing and relative applications side of engineering. This is due in part to how we run our businesses. Outsourcing engineering and manufacturing business practices have introduced interesting challenges the product development. The best arrangement I've seen is where engineering, design, manufacturing, production, quality are shoulder to shoulder (eye to eye) developing and producing products..
    Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.