Thread: Index and Lift System - 15 foot diameter

Associate Engineer

Index and Lift System - 15 foot diameter

we want design an Index and Lift System that functions like this YouTube video

The goal is to create a single air cylinder lift mechanism that will also generate the rotation during the lift, similar to that of a click pen like in this YouTube video

looking for some ideas for a system that would be smooth, reliable, and with a 20 million index life cycle

"The goal is to create a single air cylinder lift mechanism that will also generate the rotation during the lift, similar to that of a click pen like in this YouTube video"

The cylinder you're thinking of has already been invented. The ones I've seen were small though... wouldn't deal with anything 15 foot diameter. So you buy a little one and see how it's made and then build one better suited for your application. I'm pretty sure they twist via a pin running in a groove. Google "twist clamp cylinder."

Technical Fellow
    Quote Originally Posted by LarryRivers View Post
    Why add complexity especially if you are looking at 20 million hours MTBF.

I suggest you have two separate systems. One to lift and one to index. It makes for a very simple and long-life design.

Associate Engineer

The goal is to create a single air cylinder lift mechanism that will also generate the rotation during the lift, similar to that of a click pen like in this YouTube video

looking for some ideas for a system that would be smooth, reliable, and with a 20 million index life cycle
    Thank you for your fast reply. We really want to be able to raise and lower the carousel multiple times in the same position, yet be able to use the same energy of the up/down to create the fractional rotation (say a 45 degree index)

Associate Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by PinkertonD View Post
    Why add complexity especially if you are looking at 20 million hours MTBF.

I suggest you have two separate systems. One to lift and one to index. It makes for a very simple and long-life design.
    want to take advantage of the force required for the up/down movement plus reduce the cost of an index system

Technical Fellow
    want to take advantage of the force required for the up/down movement plus reduce the cost of an index system
    Hmm, an interesting approach to subverting the linear conservation of energy rule eh? Humm, Thomas Gray comes to mind here.

Oops...
    I didn't watch the little video and didn't realize this table of yours apparently needs to continue to rotate? I've had a lot of computer issues lately from boldly opening things I apparently shouldn't have so I'm not real quick on hitting links these days.

So is you table to function the same way as the silk screening table in the video?

Didn't mean to say "is you table..." Damn spell checkers anyway...