Thread: Deviate from a mil spec?

Associate Engineer

Deviate from a mil spec?

Hi all,
    First time posting on the forum, ran across something today and wanted to get other engineers opinions.

So I design products for a company and we routinely use mil specs to identify process parameters for our products.

Recently, I released a drawing that said process per the anodize mil-spec-xxx.xxx and below it I identified a thickness that does not fall completely within the range of the mil-spec

More specifically I said process per mil-spec -xxx.xx, and apply a coating thickness of .0004-.0008. However, the mil spec recommends a minimum of .0005.

In our business we use the anodize primarily for aluminum protection and color, the thickness range was recommended by the coating business who applies this anodize per the mil spec all day every day.

I originally thought it was no problem but I am starting to second guess myself. The mil-spec provides tons of information, and we deviate from one small portion of it to fit our needs, but we aren't military.

I feel like our drawings are the final say, so if we state process per the mil-spec but then below it we have a small deviation than its legit. Obviously we want 99% of the process to be followed so it wouldn't make sense in my opinion to do it any other way.

What is everyone's take on it?
    Last edited by Kelly_Bramble; 05-12-2016 at 06:35 PM.

Principle Engineer
    Mil-tfp41c

Quote Originally Posted by Hudson View Post
    Mil-tfp41c
    An old timers insiders joke...

MIL-TFP-41 - "Make It Like the Freakin' Print For Once"

Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.