Thread: dealing with part numbers

Project Engineer

dealing with part numbers

Hi Folks

I have something in mind I want to do with our part numbers for user manuals. Typically our user manuals all have the same part numbers but I'd like to have customized parts lists for different dealers and distributors..

For example a part number could be XY123456Z, Is there a way I could programmatically convert that number to something else using the customer ID number as a key? Then also be able to decode the original Part number and customer number back to what it really is ?

So for example an end user or 3rd owner or someone down the line contacts us looking for a part and all he has is this obfuscated part number. I want to be able to tell who the original vendor is and what the original part number was from just the part number.

Lead Engineer
    If I understand what you are trying to achieve then a simple procedure would be to use, for example, the last four digits of all customer issued part nos, to refer to your internal listing where those four digit numbers are used to designate the original manufacturer's part no.

Project Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by JAlberts View Post
    If I understand what you are trying to achieve then a simple procedure would be to use, for example, the last four digits of all customer issued part nos, to refer to your internal listing where those four digit numbers are used to designate the original manufacturer's part no.
    That might be too simple.. the reason I want this is because it will protect the dealers from each other. if they can just figure out how the part numbers work easily then some of the dealers will lose their customers to other dealers. There is other problems with this as well like if a dealer hasn't been paid then he doesn;t have that incentive if the user can just get support materials from a diferent source.

Lead Engineer
    I understand your problem. At the same time, no matter what you do, in this time of cell phones with cameras what is going to keep a customer from simply sending a picture of the part he wants to any dealer and telling him "I want one of these."

Project Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by JAlberts View Post
    I understand your problem. At the same time, no matter what you do, in this time of cell phones with cameras what is going to keep a customer from simply sending a picture of the part he wants to any dealer and telling him "I want one of these."
    You are right in that regard and my feeling is most dealers have no idea what a part looks like and i've noticed that a lot of people can't match a part in their hand to a drawing on paper. when I was young I thought everyone could do this and it was quite a shock to discover that wasn't true. (also that meeting went south quickly)

The other thing is there is some variation in machines and the dealers know this and don't take many chances that could embarrass them or get them stuck with items they can't use. So there is a certain social component that I think would reduce this. Also there is extra incentive for a dealer if you can demonstrate how you are trying to protect their interests.

And have you seen the quality of cell phone pics people send?