Thread: What's on a digital camera circuit board?

Associate Engineer

What's on a digital camera circuit board?

Hey Guys,
    I'm new here but I am looking to engineer a circuit board with a 35mm full frame imaging sensor on it that can be placed inside a film camera. The circuit board wouldn't have a back and the only thing (I think I need) would be an output to an SD card and power from a battery, possibly a rechargeable AA size to go where the film canister would go. I've done some research but everybody packages the board in as an entire component with many seemingly useless things like shutter inputs (the shutter would be an independent mechanism in the camera already) and flash capacitors etc. All I am looking to do is have the exact same mechanisms inside the camera already, but instead of having a film cannister have a battery and memory card, and instead of film have a sensor, so that the PCB with everything on it does nothing more than film would do, but the photon information is transferred to an SD card not film. I know there are various algorithms needed to convert the information but basic components-wise, what would I need?
    Cheers.

p.s Sorry if I am being naive and there is a massive problem with the idea that is very complicated to overcome, and please let me know of it if you find one!

Search the internet for "digital camera circuits". You'll get get a bunch...
    Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.

Project Engineer
    I think you're trying to conceptualize a digital back. Phase One had a digital back for their Medium format (larger than full frame) that was popular. But a good place to start would be with looking at a Minolta RD-175 and a Kodak DCS-420 which were commercially available conversions of 35mm film bodies to digital.

Quote Originally Posted by hodge88 View Post
    Hey Guys,
    I'm new here but I am looking to engineer a circuit board with a 35mm full frame imaging sensor on it that can be placed inside a film camera. The circuit board wouldn't have a back and the only thing (I think I need) would be an output to an SD card and power from a battery, possibly a rechargeable AA size to go where the film canister would go. I've done some research but everybody packages the board in as an entire component with many seemingly useless things like shutter inputs (the shutter would be an independent mechanism in the camera already) and flash capacitors etc. All I am looking to do is have the exact same mechanisms inside the camera already, but instead of having a film cannister have a battery and memory card, and instead of film have a sensor, so that the PCB with everything on it does nothing more than film would do, but the photon information is transferred to an SD card not film. I know there are various algorithms needed to convert the information but basic components-wise, what would I need?
    Cheers.

p.s Sorry if I am being naive and there is a massive problem with the idea that is very complicated to overcome, and please let me know of it if you find one!