Thread: Need help with using force gauge

Associate Engineer

Need help with using force gauge

Hi everyone,

I am doing a project which requires for me to use a force gauge, specifically on dollies. I have the Chatillon DMG 250lbf force gauge.

I am having problems with the logistics on using this gauge, and hopefully you guys can help me out:

I need to use this gauge on a two-wheeled dolly (hand truck) and measure the rolling force. These dollies typically have 100 lbs+ loads on them. However, I can't think of any safe way on doing this as its a two wheeler.
    If I were to have the dolly supported (no forward/backward pulling) on both ends by two people when its tilted, and solely use the gauge to do the pulling, would this affect the true force needed to move the dolly? Or does this additional support decrease the force needed

Is there another way of getting the rolling force? Adding another set of wheels (like training wheels) to the dolly, would this affect the force?

Help would be much appreciated
    Last edited by islak3; 06-16-2016 at 05:48 PM.

Have you try contacting the organization that sells the gauge?

That's where I would start..
    Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.

Associate Engineer
    Yes I have tried contacting them, but they weren't much help.

Project Engineer
    To use these dollies requires someone to provide the forces to keep it balanced, if those forces don't matter, Then to measure only the rolling force you don't need the dolly at all just the axle, wheels and the load. the load can be simulated on the axle as long as it's smaller than the wheels.

Ok, so post a free-body diagram and any other information needed for folks to evaluate your questions and requirements.
    Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.

Associate Engineer

I believe this would be the FBD. I see adding another set of wheels would increase the force applied because more force would be needed to over come the extra friction force from the wheels.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by islak3; 06-17-2016 at 04:12 PM.

Associate Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by GlennD View Post
    To use these dollies requires someone to provide the forces to keep it balanced, if those forces don't matter, Then to measure only the rolling force you don't need the dolly at all just the axle, wheels and the load. the load can be simulated on the axle as long as it's smaller than the wheels.

The thing is that I must use the dolly to get the reading. Simulating the load on another set would not be possible due to time constraints on sampling days.