Thread: Importance of Machining Tantalum

Banned

Post Importance of Machining Tantalum

In the machining process of tantalum cemented carbide tools with high cutting speeds is used. The tools must be kept grounded and sharp with a high positive rake to bear by the metal.

Tantalum is represented symbol Ta is a lustrous blue colored metal. It is a hard transition metal, rarely present in the Earth's crust. Tantalum is very hard, ductile and easily fabricated Metal.

Tantalum is used in the electronics or chemical ********** for measuring devices and fittings. It is also a great conductor of electricity and heat. It shows excellent resistance to acids and hence also used in in the medical device industry. It shows the properties of corrosion resistance to acids. Occasional applications Tantalum is in jewelry and watch making **********. Hence its machining techniques are very essential.

Most of the procedures in working and fabricating tantalum are conventional. These techniques require simple tools and technology and can be mastered without any difficulty.

Method Used for Machining Tantalum:
    Generally lathe operations are utilized for machining tantalum. With this a cemented carbide tools such as VR/Wesson Grade 3A5, with high cutting speeds, are used. Tools should be sharp, and should be well grounded. This requires a strong positive scrape as the strength of the tool.

A minimum speed of 100 surface feet per minute is employed during turning operations. Slower speeds causes the metal to tear and produce micro cracks on its surface. Recommended cutting medium is Perchloroethylene or trichloroethane. Tantalum is welded by resistance welding and inert gas, arc welding techniques. Resistance welding equipments, and methods are similar to general welding methods. Since tantalum is High-Density Metals its resistivity is only two-third to that of other metals, tantalum requires a high power input to achieve a perfect weld.

Applications of Tantalum:
    Tantalum has its main application in areas: making electrical devices, capacitors, high-temperature resistance and surgical devices. Machining Tantalum is used for making capacitors. Tantalum capacitors have a very high capacitance within a small volume. This property is very essential for shrinking electronic devices for making additional room for larger processors.

1. Tantalum is found in cell phones, DVD players, laptops, hard drives etc.
    2. It is important home or industrial electronic equipment.
    3. Tantalum is also used to create acoustic wave filters
    4. It is used as powder and wire for capacitors.
    5. It is a corrosion resistant material.
    6. Used in mobiles and televisions to improve sound quality.
    7. The average cell phone has about 40 milligrams of tantalum inside.
    8. Useful in medical equipment, including hearing aids, pacemakers and other devices.
    9. Perfect metal for making hip, knee, and other orthopedic implants.

-----------------------------

I have explained about Machining of Tantalum, its properties, alloys and application procedure. Machining procedure of this material requires high expertise and advanced knowledge in this field.

Please share your thoughts on this post.
    Last edited by Kelly_Bramble; 06-24-2016 at 07:37 AM.

Please share your thoughts on this post.

Promoting your business with embedded links not allowed.. Links removed...
    Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.