Thread: Please help finding program to learn basics with...

Associate Engineer

Please help finding program to learn basics with...

Hi,

I've never done anything with any type of CAD program but would like to learn the basics of how to draw some simple architectural things, and things like tool sheds, and work chests. I'd like a free program that will allow you to save your projects and print them out, and something that isn't going to expire after a trial period ends, if there are any such programs. It doesn't have to be anything that will do 3D. Maybe at some point in the future I'll want to move on to something more complicated, but just to start with I'm looking for something free and easy to learn the basics with, if there is any such thing available. I don't mind paying a few bucks for something if necessary, but this is just for curiosity about how to learn the basics so I don't want to spend a lot on anything.

Thank you for any help or suggestions!
    David

Check out Draftsight, an AutoCAD clone, offered by Solidworks. There are others also. I've used Draftsight and like it.

Associate Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by jboggs View Post
    Check out Draftsight, an AutoCAD clone, offered by Solidworks. There are others also. I've used Draftsight and like it.
    Thank you for the suggestion! I'll try it out right away.

Associate Engineer
    Well, I tried for about an hour to get a version of DraftSight that will work. I'm using Windows XP and apparently the 2016 version won't work with that. I've tried to find something that will but don't have all night. If anyone can suggest a download that will work I'll try it asap. Otherwise I'll go back to hunting around for something again when I get off work tomorrow night.

You probably need the 32 bit version instead of the 64 bit version.

Associate Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by jboggs View Post
    You probably need the 32 bit version instead of the 64 bit version.
    I did get the 32 bit version, but later read that the 2016 version doesn't work with Windows XP. Now I'm trying to find an earlier version that will, if they ever made one that works with XP. Maybe the 2015 version?