Thread: Need help on two questions (Tolerancing limits and symbols)

Associate Engineer

Need help on two questions (Tolerancing limits and symbols)

Hello everyone.. I just finished working on a quiz, and I would need some help on two questions that I unfortunately don't understand how to interpret them, and consequently got wrong. I will attach the two questions here on this this post, hope to get as many responses as possible. Thanks in advance..

Stef
    Attached Images Attached Images

Who's the test administrator, institution, or organization ?

Associate Engineer
    I'm a student, we did this test at school the other day.. 9 question test. Based on the dimension we were given from the drawing, we had to find the rest of the values, such as MAX/MIN HOLE and SHAFT, and CLEARANCE or INTERFERENCE, using a calculator found on this website http://www.engineersedge.com/calcula...tolerances.htm
    The problem is that I have no idea how to interpret or where to look for the symbols LC 6S or RC 7S.

Quote Originally Posted by leonpalude View Post
    I'm a student, we did this test at school the other day.. 9 question test. Based on the dimension we were given from the drawing, we had to find the rest of the values, such as MAX/MIN HOLE and SHAFT, and CLEARANCE or INTERFERENCE, using a calculator found on this website http://www.engineersedge.com/calcula...tolerances.htm
    The problem is that I have no idea how to interpret or where to look for the symbols LC 6S or RC 7S.
    Re-read the rules.. Engineers Edge forums are not for supporting school activities or homework. You should use the schools recommended resources. Engineers Edge forums are only for industry or Engineers Edge training support.
    Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.

Associate Engineer
    The only source the school provided was from Engineering Edge, so I used it, but it still didn't solve the problem, that's why I'm using the forum, and I wasn't asking to solve my homework, as they have already been submitted.
    I was just trying to understand how to interpret or where to look for those two symbols.

The only source the school provided was from Engineering Edge, so I used it, but it still didn't solve the problem, that's why I'm using the forum, and I wasn't asking to solve my homework, as they have already been submitted.
    I was just trying to understand how to interpret or where to look for those two symbols.
    This is the "Engineers Edge".. Name the person or organization that sent you here..
    Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.

Associate Engineer
    I'm not authorized to give you the name or organization that sent me here, I already explained who I am, what I'm looking for, and who sent me here in the previous post. If you are not interested or don't wanna help, just skip and go to the next post, like many others do.
    Ultimately, as the link shows below, you've already helped someone solving problems without asking the name of the organization that sent him here.

http://www.engineersedge.com/enginee...ofile-question

I'm not authorized to give you the name or organization that sent me here, I already explained who I am, what I'm looking for, and who sent me here in the previous post. If you are not interested or don't wanna help, just skip and go to the next post, like many others do.
    Ultimately, as the link shows below, you've already helped someone solving problems without asking the name of the organization that sent him here.

http://www.engineersedge.com/enginee...ofile-question
    Your example link is not a student asking a question..

Here's my take on your test questions. Question one seems obvious just put the numbers in the calculator and fill out the form. "S" should mean shaft basis. The test seems broken cause I got the same answers on the form. Also, nobody in industry puts tolerances on drawing that way.

Question two is confusing and again no clear requirements or question, so my verdict is that that the test is again broken or the test creator does not know what they are doing.

Don't blame Kelly B. for not getting involved.

I'd get your money back dude..

Associate Engineer
    Thank you so much Cragyon.... I really appreciate so much the efforts you put in to help me understand those two questions. They didn't make sense to me either... for example I didn't know what symbol to put in the calculator, so I filled in LC 6 and RC 7. Now, back to the question, if the symbols are not correct, I should automatically get all values wrong I suppose... but as you can see, it says for both problems 2/7 points. I believe you are right... the test might be broken...

Thanks a lot again.

Quote Originally Posted by Cragyon View Post
    Your example link is not a student asking a question..

Here's my take on your test questions. Question one seems obvious just put the numbers in the calculator and fill out the form. "S" should mean shaft basis. The test seems broken cause I got the same answers on the form. Also, nobody in industry puts tolerances on drawing that way.

Question two is confusing and again no clear requirements or question, so my verdict is that that the test is again broken or the test creator does not know what they are doing.

Don't blame Kelly B. for not getting involved.

I'd get your money back dude..
    I agree with your broken verdict. I'm no GD&T expert but something just isn't reading right in the screen shots.