Thread: Rotted floor joist repair?

baj702

Rotted floor joist repair?

I have a main-floor floor joist (ceiling joist in the basement) that has rot damage of about 1 1/2 foot at the end (see diagram - 1927 era house) - the rest of the joist is perfect. The problem that caused the rot has been taken care of, so no more problems with that!

I'm willing to rip out the ceiling in the basement and replace the joist if I have to, but it will be a big PITA. The main-floor sub-floor is nailed to it, and it is sandwiched in at the ends (well, one end - the other is rotted out). There is also a rather large (circumference) duct that runs along in the joist bay (to the right of joist A).

I thought maybe I could use a joist splice, but it would be almost impossible to insert since the joist is up against the fireplace on one side - unless they make splices that only need to be attached to one side of the joist. But, even then I worry that it wouldn't be strong enough since this joist also supports joist B (and the joists that are attached to B).

Another thought would be to sister on a steel joist/plate. This way, I wouldn't have to rip out what's there, or disturb joists' B connection to joist A.

One last option I can think of would be to build a wall (extrude the fireplace to the right about 6 inches) along the right side of the fireplace perpendicular to the load bearing wall. This would catch 6 inches or so of still good joist that could rest on top. There is a concrete floor (maybe 3-4 inches), though I doubt there's a footing there. The downside of this is I would lose the symmetry of the fireplace (architecural elements), unless I did it to the other side too... that could look funny...

Any thoughts or ideas would be great!!!

Thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Kelly_Bramble; 09-03-2016 at 07:24 AM.