Thread: Building a motion capture puppet using accelerometer's over wifi?

Associate Engineer

Lightbulb Building a motion capture puppet using accelerometer's over wifi?

Hello!

I am a visual director (and one who has little knowledge about electrical engineering!) And I am working on a project where we want to Motion Capture a rod puppet for use in VR.

The project is called Valraven and its a bleak nordic folk tale using VR.

The idea is to build a 75 cm tall wooden dummy puppets (biped) with all limbs movable and manipulative via rods connected to the limbs in order to capture the unique way a rod puppet moves, then importing the animation data into Unity3D (game engine) to build the experience.

I have looked around for off-the-shelf systems like REMOVED (link removed) but due to this being a personal project with a very small budget (as always.. sigh!) I was wonder if its possible to build my own and trying to see how difficult vs how expensive it would be.

The ideal solution would be a a 16 (ish) 3 axis (xyz) accelerometer setup that can capture and send the data over wifi and talk to Autodesk Motion Builder (one accelerometer for each / foot/leg/upper leg/pelvis/torso/head/upper arm/lower arm/ hand)

in theory the pipeline would be

puppets -> 3 axis accelerometer -> wifi / router -> data - > Motion builder capture and animation clean up -> Export -> Unity3D import

I wonder if anyone has seen or tried to build something like this? Or could point me in the right direction.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Cheers!

Mikael
    Last edited by Kelly_Bramble; 09-14-2016 at 07:31 AM.