Thread: How much weight will 6061 T6 angle hold?

Associate Engineer

How much weight will 6061 T6 angle hold?

Hi all, I'm new to the forum. I have recently fabricated a fuel tank for my truck out of 0.125" 5052 H32, and I am planning to mount it to my frame with 0.25" 2"x2" 6061 T6 angle. The tank is 22 inches wide, 29 inches long, and the angle aluminum will span the entire length of both dimensions. I have included a very basic rendering of how it will look. My concern is that I've calculated that the tank will weight approx. 350lbs full of diesel. I have NO idea of the weight carrying capacity of the aluminum angle before it bends, any ideas? I don't need specific calculations down to the decimal point or anything, I'm more looking for a yes or no, will it hold?

P.S. ignore the "Option 2", this is just one of several drafts for mounting options, and the one I settled on.

Attached Images Attached Images

You haven't provided enough information. All the formulas you would need for your calculations are available on this website. The "weight carrying capacity" of aluminum angle is not a fixed number. You need to know the types and locations of both supports and loads for each beam to predict the loading stresses and failure mode.

Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.