Thread: Directional strength of 6061 T6 Angle?

Associate Engineer

Directional strength of 6061 T6 Angle?

Hi. I'm using 0.25" 6061 T6 angle as a mounting tab for a fuel tank. I have two options for the orientation of the angle, but I don't know which is stronger, i.e. will hold more weight without flexing/cracking. My options are below. As for the first drawing, is there a direction in which the angle is stronger? The second drawing represents how I will be using the angle. The "Attachment Point" is where it will be welded to the tank, the "Load" is the downward force that will be applied by the weight of the tank. I hope the drawings make sense.

Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Probably "A" - because the tension feature is a radius as opposed to a sharp edge intersection.
    Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.

Your diagrams seem to indicate that the load will be attached to the bottom surface in both cases. I would go with whichever method allows you to get the load as close to the stationary wall as possible. The closer it is to the wall the more the angle is in shear, rather than bending. Shear is good. I would agree with Kelly about the radius, but the difference is more subtle than significant.