Thread: Reaction forces in a linkage

Associate Engineer

Reaction forces in a linkage

Hello all,

I need help calculation reaction forces (horizontal and vertical force components) on a linkage. Here's the link to the image:

The top block moves vertically and a 5 lb force is applied to it. It connects to the first bar using a bearing which connects to the second bar using a bearing as well. These two bars are movable. The second bar is connected to a fixed vertical third bar, again using a bearing.

I need to calculate the horizontal and vertical force components at the three bearing locations. I believe this is a basic problem but I'm unable to get my head around it. Any help would be really appreciated.

Thank you!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Kelly_Bramble; 11-15-2016 at 07:51 PM. Reason: Attach image directly too forum

Explain how this is not homework please. I think your diagram is incomplete. Based on your description there are no forces. You sure the motion of bearing 2 is not restricted in some way, horizontally or vertically?

I too call home work shenanigans! This is like a three pin frame exercise we did in week one, day one.