Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: question about a crankshaft

I could shoot holes in virtually all of your points given below - but won't. Honestly, I don't think there is much about your design that suggests, inexpensive, vibration free or more efficient than current state of the art and technology reciprocating engines.

You need to run the math not the ideology..

Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by gilteva View Post
    The advantages:
    1. There are no vibrations due to the symmetry. Meaning no noise even at 6000 RPM.
    2. There is no piston side thrust, like with one con rod. The rods move the piston up and down like an elevator.
    3. The piston can have spherical edges, so that mechanical mismatch will not destroy the sealing, even without sealing rings.
    4. There is no piston skirt, because the piston is kept horizontal by the rods, and it does not need the cylinder to be horizontal. Less weight for the piston. less friction. no oil maybe. Without skirt you can use iron with low thermal expansion, and not aluminum alloy with high thermal expansion.
    5. No piston skirt means shorter cylinder, and shorter engine.
    6. The patent enables to use sealing rings.
    7. The gears that hold the rods can have a diameter that is about the diameter of the piston movement. A crankshaft needs about double diameter because the crank pins are big.
    8. A crankshaft cost $700. 12 stainless steel gears cut by CO2 laser cost $200.
    9. The piston pressure falls on 3 rods, so each has 1/3 of the pressure.
    10. 6000 RPM without vibrations, and without problems from the friction, enables to replace a 0.5 liter engine with 1.5 liter engine.
    Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.

"They" are not going to release funds for something they don't believe is a viable project. Spend a bit of your own cash on a Mech. Eng. Even if just a feasibility review and some preliminary calcs. You'll need proof of concept, at least, to back up the bold claims of your magic piston.

I'd love to see/hear an engine that could hit 6000 rpm with no vibration.

Quote Originally Posted by Cake of Doom View Post
    I'd love to see/hear an engine that could hit 6000 rpm with no vibration.
    with laser cut (tolerances) gears...

Quote Originally Posted by bramble_k View Post
    with laser cut (tolerances) gears...
    And with a piston that travels elliptically. I wonder why the motor sports industry hasn't cottoned on to this little gem...

I'm just poking fun now, so I guess I'm done; unless you can prove it.

There's nothing patent-able about this design.. Reciprocating pistons with gears is not technically unique or special.. Also, you are not going gain anything in efficiancy.

The piston moves up and down only.
    see that animation
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLqy...ature=youtu.be

There are more than 10,000 patents of "Reciprocating pistons with gears". Everything that nobody suggested before is patent-able.

There is not.

http://patft.uspto.gov/

There are more than 10,000 patents of "Reciprocating pistons with gears". Everything that nobody suggested before is patent-able.