Thread: Platform lift 20' x 30' x 12' 30,000lbs capacity.

Bandgdavis2000

Platform lift 20' x 30' x 12' 30,000lbs capacity.

I could use some help getting an rough estimate on the weight of this platform. The side rails can be 3' high max. Also, the deck thickness needs to be as thin as possible. Wood planking is an option. I could also need a hand finding an engineer to do the final calculations. All our local guys are running 8 weeks or more!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Weight can be obtained from the designer; they should know the components and materials used. As for the calcs, go to your local engineering board for the registered engineers in your area. Some may offer a fast track option (for a fee) if you can't wait the eight weeks. This isn't really something you want solved by internet ghosts.

The main "engineering principle" you should keep in mind is this: "Sh_t happens." After some unexpected event occurs and somebody is hurt, or worse, imagine yourself sitting on the witness stand answering the opposing lawyer's question about your design and you have to say "I got it from some guys on the internet I never met or paid." Just think about that.

Bandgdavis2000
    Never said I wasn't going to pay. Will be very happy to pay. Looking for some can do people, who are not afraid of trying something new. We use to incourage innovation. I wonder what happened to all that.

Bandgdavis2000
    Thanks, well I'm the designer so that the problem. I'm hoping on sourcing some direction for some rough suggestions that I can give to a mechanical engineer and a stress engineer. If I give them something pretty close the whole process will go so much smoother. I've talked with 6 local people, some who did work for me before and they all are too backed up. Our area is seeing the most growth in the states now. So, if anyone is willing to put their stamp on this wants to help, holler!

The quickest way to get the basic info would be to check the codes for weights of materials. As long you aren't planing on using some super new stuff to construct this, the basic mass of things like steel and timber should be in there. Not knowing the overall purpose of this, that's the best I can do for you.

Bandgdavis2000
    Thank you. Not planning on anything exotic. Just steel. I use to have Solidworks with Cosmos which would allow me to do rough designs and it would calculate the stress points for me so I'd a pretty good plan for the stress folks to verify. I don't have access to this software anymore since I retired. I'd like to also camber the pieces to counter act deflection. I did this sucessfully on a 80' walkway that had only 3 contact points of support this was for my own use.
    This platform is for my personal use and will lift a large diesel pickup 7500lbs , boat and trailer 8,000lbs, tractor 4,000 8' high in the fall. Springtime I will use it at 12' high to lift just the boats off their trailers individually formmaintenance , One is 6000lbs the other is 8000lbs. Lastly in the summertime the boat trailers will be stored at 12' with the combined weight around 10,000lbs.