Thread: Load on Steel Plate

Associate Engineer

Load on Steel Plate

I am looking to attach an aluminum frame to a steel plate. The steel plate is 1/8" thick by 4" wide and spans about 25 feet. How do I calculate the load on the plate?

Thanks.

First, determine what and how the load is applied - bending, tension, compression, torsion, combination. Create a free-body diagram then come back and post.
    Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.

Programs that show material stress analysis will greatly help in placement of gussets and necessary supports to provide a light yet rigid structure.

Using Autodesk or Solid works you could refine your design using the free monthly trial after watching some youtube videos to understand the controls before hand and refine the placement.

Here is a link of some open source and freeware that may help otherwise
    http://www.freebyte.com/cad/fea.htm

I am guessing you are bolting the aluminum frame to the steel plate(frame) with some type of rubber isolators between to two.

Do not forget to factor in bolt stress, sheer, thread types, pitch, and so on. I believe Autodesk has a listing of many standard bolts available. I am unaware if it is available in the trial version though.

The stress analysis tool lets you try out different materials and provides a basic understanding of what will work. Further work will be needed to finalize the design. But it will get you in the ball park of where you need to be as well as pointing out any areas overlooked that may have become major design flaws in the frame.