Thread: W12x22 swap for W10x33?

Associate Engineer

W12x22 swap for W10x33?

I have an engineer that specced a W12x22 steel beam for a basement. The problem is the prefabbed foundation was planning for a W10x33. The steel supplier said it should work to swap the two out (it's just a one story rancher). I would prefer the wider flange of the W10x33, but obviously don't want to create a problem. I'm just wondering if they are close enough that I would be ok. I do know that the W12x22 was 22% over what the point loads called for. I am a shade tree engineer that knows enough to know that I have no idea what I am doing with beam sizing. Give me an LVL, LSL, or PSL and I'm your man. Ask me about steel and I'll point you to the man with a red cape.

Best bet is to ask the engineer that sized the beam as there may be other factors involved that aren't immediately obvious or it may simply be that they picked the lighter of the two sections.

EDIT:-

There are beam property resources on this site if you want to check things over for your own piece of mind.

I agree with C.o.D.. Who knows what the requirements are.. Could be local building codes requirement.

Quote Originally Posted by Cake of Doom View Post
    Best bet is to ask the engineer that sized the beam as there may be other factors involved that aren't immediately obvious or it may simply be that they picked the lighter of the two sections.

EDIT:-

There are beam property resources on this site if you want to check things over for your own piece of mind.