Thread: Hidden Headlight Help?!?!

Associate Engineer

Hidden Headlight Help?!?!

I am a novice in automation, but fairly mechanically inclined with some basic electrical skills. I am trying to build a new grille for my car and I want to integrate automatic headlight covers that open when the lights are on and close when the lights are off. I do not have enough clearance to have the headlight covers raise above the headlights as is the traditional way in classic American ****** cars, so I have come up with the idea to have the covers go behind the grille. the covers would have to go backwards (towards the rear of the car) enough to clear the center part of the grille and then retract inwards (towards the center line) when the headlights are turned on, then reverse when the headlights turn off. the electrical portion should be able to be done with relays I believe, my main concern is the 2 directional movement I need. Does anyone have any ideas? I thought of a straight actuator with the cover on a track that has a curve at the end so when it retracts the first movement is 45 degrees towards the back and center, then straight in towards the center. But I am looking for other suggestions and possibly a good reliable track/roller system to use, and suppliers if anyone knows of any. the retractable doors will be approx. 12 inches long and 6 inches tall and will weigh no more than 2 pounds I would guess (made out of aluminum and plastic or steel). Please let me know if you have any suggestions or suppliers I can start with. Thank you in advance!!!

Your best bet is to find a resource that has many car enthusiast of whatever your car is and ask your question there.
    Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.