Thread: How does pressure change in a pipeline if, it

Associate Engineer

How does pressure change in a pipeline if, it

What happens to the pressure when you have one pipeline with 1 bar pressure that ties to a common head wither another pipeline with 7 bar pressure. Does that 7 bar fluid stop the 1 bar fluid going in?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Depending on the design of the system, check valves or not the 7 Bar source will be the pressure minus pressure loss from flow.
    Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.

Associate Engineer
    Y-Spring Check Valve, or Swing Check Valve

Two adjoining pipes with no valve in between cannot have different pressures. The 7 bar pressure will fill the volume all the way back to the valve in your diagram. If it is a check valve holding back the 7 bar pressure, it will only open when the pressure on the other side exceeds 7 bar. There is no way to feed fluid under 1 bar pressure into a volume at 7 bar pressure. I am ignoring pressure losses due to flow.

Associate Engineer
    It's possible the pipe is obstructed inside. Perhaps rust scale, large glob of pipe dope, etc.. That would impede pressure balance I think. Just a thought.

Engineer
    To understand the relationship between the pressure drop across a pipeline and the flow rate through that pipeline, we need to go back to one of the most important fundamental laws that governs the flow of fluid in a pipe: the Conservation of Energy, which for incompressible liquids,

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ravs236 View Post

What happens to the pressure when you have one pipeline with 1 bar pressure that ties to a common head wither another pipeline with 7 bar pressure. Does that 7 bar fluid stop the 1 bar fluid going in?
    The Influence of Pressure. Thus if the pressure is 1 bar gauge at the material feed point in a positive-pressure conveying system, with discharge to atmospheric pressure, there will be a doubling of the airflow rate, and hence velocity, in a single-bore pipeline.

Depending on how your Pipeline Design