Thread: Mechanical GoPro stabilizer

Associate Engineer

Smile Mechanical GoPro stabilizer

Good day Everyone

I'm currently in my final year of mechanical engineering and as a part of our design project we have to design a purely mechanical stabilizer for GoPro, which will be utilized on either the helmet or handlebar of a mountain biker.

The client or user is primarily interested in reducing the verical vibration whenever the bike rides over a dirt road type of terrain which causes the camera to jitter or shake.

I will post my approach on the problem and I would like your thoughts on how to proceed or input as to whether my approach is correct.

The issue at hand is to reduce the vertical vibration. Using literature I've obtained a range of frequencies which the the bike is subjected to on the helmet as well as handlebar. I've decided to model this as a sdof vibration isolation system with base motion.And then using the already derived equations (for displacement transmissibility) solve for a spring and damping constant, based on that select an appropriate spring and damper.

Kind Regards
    Trishan

Wrong camera for the extreme application - search the internet for "Electronic Image Stabilization (EIS)". Surprised goPro has not incorporated the technology.
    Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.

Associate Engineer
    We're required to develop a purely mechanical design