Thread: Measuring DC motor inductance

bbq_bbq

Measuring DC motor inductance

Hello, on the internet, there are various methods on measuring the inductance. For example,

http://www.dos4ever.com/inductor/inductor.html and
    https://electronics.stackexchange.c...y-way-to-measure-a-dc-hobby-motors-inductance

If I want to measure the inductance of a 12V DC motor, are the two methods listed above as good as using a LCR meter? Will LCR meter be able to get more noticeably accurate measurements?

Just get or buy a LCR meter - keep it simple and most meters can measure capacitance, resistance and voltage and more. The cheap ones are like $50.

I just seen one searching google for $22.

bbq_bbq
    Thanks. I am trying to save some money. I checked the reviews but it seems that some could not give accurate measurement values. Which one do you recommend?

How inductance affect the motor behavior? I read that the inductance is usually a very small value. I wonder if my simulation would behave like the real one if I just set it to some value, say 1e-4H.

How accurate do you think you need? DC motors are not that tightly manufactured. Also, you could get model numbers and research manufacturers specifications.

bbq_bbq
    I need to create a model so that the computer simulated motor behaves like the real one. I was told that manufacturer cannot provide the inductance information.