Thread: v-belt tensioner

Associate Engineer

v-belt tensioner

Thanks for adding me to the forum.

I am building a 44" wide drum sander that is powered by a 4 cycle gas engine. The engine is connected to my drum shaft with a 1/2 v-belt. The drum sander is on a trolley that runs back and forth on a track (48" wide x10' long). I am looking to build a belt tensioner to effect a tensioner pulley against the belt to engage power to the drum sander. I am looking to operate it with a hand pull or bicycle brake handle. The drum sander trolley is moved back and forth by a long handle.

I need a tensioner design I can use by hand so if I drop the handle the belt loosens and power to the drum stops. Any thoughts are appreciated.

I have fabbed everything and have a metal fab shop so nothing is beyond my ability to build if you guys give me ideas.

Thanks.

Craig-

Copy a belt engagement system from a riding lawn mower? Some use levers and some use cables.

Or - You say your carriage is moved by a handle. Mount the handle on a spring loaded pivot so that the v-belt is engaged when you push down on the handle compressing the spring. You can still push or pull the handle horizontally without releasing the downward pressure. When you release the handle the spring moves it back up and disengages the belt.

Associate Engineer
    thanks Jboggs. I've tossed the same ideas around in my head. Just haven't committed to one yet.