Thread: Header Sizing and Material

Associate Engineer

Header Sizing and Material

I am looking to install a 38" x 38" window in my basement wall. Wall is 92" tall - 38" leaves about 27" top and bottom. Opening will be a little bigger for framing, also I am not looking to cut it all the way up to top of wall, purpose of window is not for egress, it is to let light into bedroom/office.

Now window will be under the single story side of house and figuring the load bearing for sizing header I come up with 3510 LBS. (to get this number I used this website ***link removed***
    See snap shot, Also I am located in Brighton Michigan area, snow fall is not that bad,b ut for saftey factor I used heaviest snow fall on calculator.

Now my question is header, I am thinking of using steel C channel (structural) as header 6" x 1.920" flange height x web thick .20" x 48" long. While I know this will work. I know a steel plate would be easier, but how thick or even steel angle say 2" x 2" x 5/16 thk x 48" long.

I am hiring a person to cut wall with chain saw, so he will be cutting lintel at top of window opening just need to figure how big lintel and material to size lintel for.

Below is Basement Dimensions

Attached Images Attached Images

You need to contact a local engineer familiar with building codes for your requirements.. Additionally, Engineers Edge will not verify or embrace equations or calculators from other websites..

For beam deflection, stress etc. calculators see: https://www.engineersedge.com/beam_calc_menu.shtml
    Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.