Thread: Training Classes

Associate Engineer

Training Classes

Can anyone offer a place to find training classes designed for engineers? I have found some interesting ones on the ASME site but was wondering if there were any other resources anyone could suggest. Not looking for any class in particular, just something that could help advance my skills.

thanks in advance.

Technical Fellow
    Some more information might be helpful. Attention to detail is the first objective of anyone involved in Engineering.

Online courses?
    Is in which State important?
    Full time?
    Part time?
    Free?
    Tuition fee ceiling?

Hi and welcome to the forum...it depends on what you are looking for and what your background is. The first place to look is your local community college. They typically offer courses at reasonable rate. It's good to get something hands-on and offers a certificate ate the end. A piece of paper for your hard work is always rewarding.

There are a coupe of classes available on PDHstorm.com - GD&T fundamentals and Design for machining..

Associate Engineer
    I am working in PA but am able to travel anywhere for training. The classes I found on the ASME site are about fasteners. I don't have anything specific in mind just trying to see what is offered from reputable sources. I'd prefer to stay away from online since I don't have the time outside of work to dedicate to something of that nature.

Can you not take an online course while at work? ASME has many classes, not just fasteners. All of the professional organizations are considered "reputable"; I would search their websites extensively.

SAE, SME, ISO…

Also, I noticed that your ip address is 194.103.217.6, which traces to Haganis, Switzerland. Are you currently in PA?

Quote Originally Posted by vogelmann4 View Post
    I am working in PA but am able to travel anywhere for training. The classes I found on the ASME site are about fasteners. I don't have anything specific in mind just trying to see what is offered from reputable sources. I'd prefer to stay away from online since I don't have the time outside of work to dedicate to something of that nature.

Associate Engineer
    I am just east of Pittsburgh. I work for North American Hoganas, which is a Swedish Powdered Metal Producer. Our internet runs via the parent company in Sweden.

I am not sure if I could take online classes at work. We are a small department so our time is fairly limited. I mentioned the fastener class because that has always been something would have liked to see offered at college as an elective.

Do you have access to a recent copy of Machinery's Handbook? If not, get one. It will be the most valuable reference book you have. It has very good basic introductions to almost all topics related to the design or usage of any machine components. After you read what is it has on a topic, you will know whether or not further instruction would be useful. You will also find that it is by far the most commonly recommended source book by all the users of this site. Another VERY useful book, and much more academic in nature, is Mark's Standard Handbook for Mechanical Engineers.

I used to do a lot of work for the Hoeganaes plant in Gallatin, TN. They've had some pretty rough times over the last year or so.

Associate Engineer
    International Career School (ICS) is good.

Associate Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by jboggs View Post
    Do you have access to a recent copy of Machinery's Handbook? If not, get one. It will be the most valuable reference book you have. It has very good basic introductions to almost all topics related to the design or usage of any machine components. After you read what is it has on a topic, you will know whether or not further instruction would be useful. You will also find that it is by far the most commonly recommended source book by all the users of this site. Another VERY useful book, and much more academic in nature, is Mark's Standard Handbook for Mechanical Engineers.

I used to do a lot of work for the Hoeganaes plant in Gallatin, TN. They've had some pretty rough times over the last year or so.
    I have another handbook but will have to find a copy of that one.

Yes last year was not good for Hoeganaes and could have been bad for the entire PM industry. All from poor house keeping/up keep really a shame.

Associate Engineer
    has anyone on here attended PD313 - Fundamentals Of Fastening Systems offered by ASME. If so did you think the class was worth taking and what was the type of work you think it helped most (design, maintenance etc)?

thanks!

Hang in there! A man with goals and plans will ALWAYS get farther than the man with none. Profound, huh?

Quote Originally Posted by jboggs View Post
    Hang in there! A man with goals and plans will ALWAYS get farther than the man with none. Profound, huh?
    Someone had chinese food last night.