Thread: what parts do i need to build something that can store and release air pressure?

Cool what parts do i need to build something that can store and release air pressure?

i have a idea that i would like test, it seems like it should be really easy and simple to build, however, i am clueless as how to actually build it, i am not even sure what parts i would need. im hoping someone here will be able to point me in the right direction to help me get started.

long story short, i need to make something that is able to contain high air pressures and be able to release all that pressure at once by pushing in a pin or something, then be able to be refilled and used again. the more psi it can handle, the better, but i at least need it to be able to safely contain about 1k psi.

the issue im having is the size, i need this thing to be small, about the size of a index finger, give or take a few centimeters or so.

i am sure there must be parts that are already made that i can use to make this, but sadly, i have no clue of what parts i need are called, i dont even know what to search for on google, i have tried " air compression tank" all i find is large tanks for paintball guns or scuba gear, i tried " air cylinder", "air piston" "air valve" "air cartridge" not a single one of those search terms gave any results of the type of thing i want to make. if someone could tell me what i should be searching for, i would greatly appreciate it.

Note: preferably things that can be bought from amazon

The issue you run into is safety factor of the wall required for that psi. Not to mention you have no volume to speak of.
    1000psi is still 1000 psi and should be handled with care.

I would look at using a 8oz co2 cartridge and re engineer the parts of a bb pistol moving the triggering mechanism, leverage/gearing and valving around the exterior of the cartridge. In my head you end up with something around 6" long and a 1" in diameter.

Not refillable. But easily replaceable and safe.
    Not 1000psi. But has enough volume for a good amount of work to be done with the available psi.

Quote Originally Posted by dn24210r View Post
    The issue you run into is safety factor of the wall required for that psi. Not to mention you have no volume to speak of.
    1000psi is still 1000 psi and should be handled with care.

I would look at using a 8oz co2 cartridge and re engineer the parts of a bb pistol moving the triggering mechanism, leverage/gearing and valving around the exterior of the cartridge. In my head you end up with something around 6" long and a 1" in diameter.

Not refillable. But easily replaceable and safe.
    Not 1000psi. But has enough volume for a good amount of work to be done with the available psi.
    thanks for the reply. i have indeed considered re engineering a co2 cartridge, i have not done it yet because i dont have any type of power tools, wouldnt be able to do anything with it. is their anything i can buy online that is remotely similar to what im trying to build?

How did you end up with the figure of 1000 psi?

Quote Originally Posted by mikespaidadvertising View Post
    thanks for the reply. i have indeed considered re engineering a co2 cartridge, i have not done it yet because i dont have any type of power tools, wouldnt be able to do anything with it. is their anything i can buy online that is remotely similar to what im trying to build?
    Leave the c02 cartridge alone.
    It is easily replaceable and safe.
    You should look at building the triggering mechanism around the cartridge to keep the structure within your space restraints.

There should be very little machining required to adapt common trigger mechanism and gearing for a wide array of applications using commonly available parts. You will need to do a good amount of searching. But stuff is generally already manufactured that may fit your needs lessening your cost and headaches.

The equivalent of 1000psi of force can be done through means of leverage or gearing only scaled down and still be close to your space restraints.

Note that if you have 1000 psi of force to drive lets just say a cordless dentist drill/engraver(high rpm) or a cordless impact torque wrench/punch(high torque) you need to counter that rotation/force for the application which may change the design.

Associate Engineer
    i guess u want to know what air, some will go liquid form when in that PSI