Thread: Drafters, a thing of the past?

Associate Engineer

Drafters, a thing of the past?

Hi all.

So I'm a pretty green student currently exploring all things engineering. I'm cranking on my prereqs and also taking machining and CAD courses. Diving right into it.

I have taken an interest in drafting, but it appears that as a specialty this job is on the decline. Advances in technology are evidently allowing engineers to do things that drafters once did, reducing the need for them.

Is there no future in drafting? Do you believe the job will continue to decline or be phased out? Will drafters continue to be needed in spite of technological advances?

Draughtsmen draught, engineers drink ale and play golf. Seriously though, I don't think that job will fade out but it will evolve. Your employers certainly won't want you sitting there and developing drawings whilst there are still stacks of calcs to be done. Your courses will give you an incite into how these programs are operated and there basic functions, but at the end of the day it's not your job.

In pre-CAD days, engineers did the sketches and calculations, took responsibility for the design, and relied on professional draftsmen to produce clear, readable, and reproducible drawings. Drafting truly was as much art as science. (Study some of the old hand made drawings closely someday. You'll be amazed at the skill involved.)

In early CAD days that really didn't change much, mainly because CAD systems were so expensive. There was no such thing as a desktop CAD station. Managers did not want to walk through the engineering office and see someone sitting in front of a $100,000 twin-screen CAD station scratching his head. They wanted to see lines being drawn! So the terminology changed a little. We had engineers and "CAD operators". Then as hardware and costs shrank and software capability increased, we began to see engineers with their own CAD systems. I could tell you stories about the transition of the very large old-school engineering firms to the modern days of a CAD system on every desk.

Well now we have come full circle. Remember I said that engineers used to rely on "professional draftsmen"? Well, now that engineers ARE the draftsmen, in many cases their drafting is so horrible (even with CAD) that it essentially destroys any impression of technical skill. So, yes there is a future in drafting! There will always be a need for good, clear, concise, easily readable, and thorough graphical expressions of technical concepts. Maybe that drafting will be a sub-set of the engineering function, but the need is still there.

As many old gray-hairs on this forum will tell you - a CAD system does not a good draftsman make! It still takes some planning, care, and effort to produce work that both LOOKS good and IS good.

Associate Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by jboggs View Post
    In pre-CAD days, engineers did the sketches and calculations, took responsibility for the design, and relied on professional draftsmen to produce clear, readable, and reproducible drawings. Drafting truly was as much art as science. (Study some of the old hand made drawings closely someday. You'll be amazed at the skill involved.)

In early CAD days that really didn't change much, mainly because CAD systems were so expensive. There was no such thing as a desktop CAD station. Managers did not want to walk through the engineering office and see someone sitting in front of a $100,000 twin-screen CAD station scratching his head. They wanted to see lines being drawn! So the terminology changed a little. We had engineers and "CAD operators". Then as hardware and costs shrank and software capability increased, we began to see engineers with their own CAD systems. I could tell you stories about the transition of the very large old-school engineering firms to the modern days of a CAD system on every desk.

Well now we have come full circle. Remember I said that engineers used to rely on "professional draftsmen"? Well, now that engineers ARE the draftsmen, in many cases their drafting is so horrible (even with CAD) that it essentially destroys any impression of technical skill. So, yes there is a future in drafting! There will always be a need for good, clear, concise, easily readable, and thorough graphical expressions of technical concepts. Maybe that drafting will be a sub-set of the engineering function, but the need is still there.

As many old gray-hairs on this forum will tell you - a CAD system does not a good draftsman make! It still takes some planning, care, and effort to produce work that both LOOKS good and IS good.
    I'm much more into drafting than engineering. Do you think it would be worth getting a technical degree in drafting?

Quote Originally Posted by samartin360 View Post
    I'm much more into drafting than engineering. Do you think it would be worth getting a technical degree in drafting?
    Your opportunities would be limited with only a drafting degree, particularly supporting engineering design. I’m not sure what career options are available for drafters in architecture.

I suggest you focus on an education that will ensure employment – money.
    Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.

I agree. I think you will eventually get bored. You will end up with a "specialty" like structural steel detailing, or house drawings, and you will end up spending your weeks looking forward to Fridays. I say aim higher. You can always back if you want.

Drafters are still around but only in limited capacity. Not much career upside.

Engineer
    Back when I first started my career in the late 1970's.. there were "Design and Drafting" Departments that were separate from "Engineering". A newbie started as a Detailer... then if you were good at that you became a Drafter, then a Designer, then a Senior Designer.

I always liked working for smaller companies where you wear many hats. I still find drafting to be a rewarding task... and a drafter / designer that has mechanical aptitude and knows how to design for manufacturability is truly a valuable commodity.

Associate Engineer
    I think so.

AviCrest
    In my country all engineers still learn drafting in university. Maybe this is just honoring the past, maybe they think that handwriting develops spatial reasoning more than computer drafting... However I have to make lot's on draftings during work, as government requires the documentation to include drafts, but I use CAD not a pencil and a sheet of paper.

Associate Engineer
    'Drafters' are likely before my time as an engineer, and in the limited years I have been practising since graduation, I have never come accross anyone in a design office still using pencils to draw technical drawings. That said, I still come accross old technical drawings from the early 1990s which are clearly hand drawn. Its a form of art in my opinion, especially when the drafter has managed to work isometric views into the drawing.

Anyway, career wise, at least in the UK there are plenty of jobs around as 'CAD engineers', whereby someone is employed specifically to use a CAD program all day without getting to involved in the actual design or project management. A friend of mine worked for a very large company, so large that it seemed the employee's had very specific job roles with limited room for deviation. He told me they had several designated CAD engineers who's job it was to produce drawings of the parts he needed. I believe its well paid to if you can use some of the more skill intensive CAD packages like CATIA.