Thread: Process Validation

Associate Engineer

Process Validation

Hi guys, this is my first post. I want to verify weekly (at least) my force gage (pull) so I am confident it is working fine in between its annual calibration. I was thinking of a known weight with a hole on top so I can hook up it into my gage. however, I don't know if it is an accepted way to do. TIA.

Using weights or in our case we used a calibrated hydraulic pump and actuator to apply the loads incrementally to develop a calibration curve and verify the strain gage readings.

bill_albert
    Unless you believe your use model exceeds the design limits of the force gauge, there really is no need for such frequent checks. Having said that, if you would like to do a weekly performance verification I can make some suggestions for tools. I would need the range of the instrument as well as the expected accuracy. Ideally, you would provide the manufacturer and model number.

There are several weight manufacturers offering products made specifically for hanging from a force gauge.

In your use, since you are not calibrating the gauge, merely attempting to detect drift or a sudden change in measured value, you can omit the calibration of the weights and simply record the measured value over time. As long as your weights are maintained in a reasonably clean state, any change can be attributed to the force gauge.