Thread: Advice/Resources/Literature needed for composite filament winder design

Associate Engineer

Question Advice/Resources/Literature needed for composite filament winder design

I am currently working on my undergraduate thesis - it's focused on the design and upgrade of a filament winding machine (both hardware and software) that was designed and built in-house at my university. One of the tasks that I need to do is to update the controller code to allow the machine to be able to wind in helical patterns and dome shapes. However, I'm having a really hard time finding relevant literature surrounding the mathematics of these topics. I have discussed this issue with my supervisor and he suggested that I try to find some open-source filament winding control software and reverse engineer it if possible. However, I've had no luck with finding any such software. My question then is, where should I be looking to find the resources/literature on the topic of helical winding and winding over dome shapes? Relevant books? Articles? Reports? I would also like to ask for any advice from industry experts with regards to this topic. Thanks for your time and help.

built in-house at my university
    Documentation, engineering drawings should be available "in-house". The software should be on a backup drive or other..

Look there.
    Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.

Associate Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelly Bramble View Post
    Documentation, engineering drawings should be available "in-house". The software should be on a backup drive or other..

Look there.

Well, the software and the source code is there. But there's zero documentation, no engineering drawings, no operating manual, nothing - a problem I was hoping to fix as part of my project. But what I really need is somewhere I can study the relevant mathematics behind the process. Without an understanding of those, I wouldn't be able to work on the software side of things and won't have anything to write in my report.
    Last edited by rajeshs7759; 07-04-2017 at 07:24 PM. Reason: Adding Quote

Quote Originally Posted by rajeshs7759 View Post

Well, the software and the source code is there. But there's zero documentation, no engineering drawings, no operating manual, nothing - a problem I was hoping to fix as part of my project. But what I really need is somewhere I can study the relevant mathematics behind the process. Without an understanding of those, I wouldn't be able to work on the software side of things and won't have anything to write in my report.
    But what I really need is somewhere I can study the relevant mathematics behind the process.
    Really?

Everything you need you have. Reverse engineer the machine, 3D model, measure and study.
    Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.

"undergraduate thesis" never heard of this before where are you going to school?

Associate Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by Cragyon View Post
    "undergraduate thesis" never heard of this before where are you going to school?
    I'm studying in Australia. The thesis is essentially an optional final year subject for B.E. at my university - it may not be as extensive as a graduate thesis, but they still push for us to build upon everything we had learnt to this point (from technical knowledge to ethics etc.).