Thread: Preessure vessels

dmkdonnelly

Preessure vessels

I have a 1000psi pressure vessel and I want to put a 300lb flange on top. What is the greatest pressure a 300lb flange can be used for?

Confused

Quote Originally Posted by dmkdonnelly View Post
    I have a 1000psi pressure vessel and I want to put a 300lb flange on top. What is the greatest pressure a 300lb flange can be used for?
    Hi and welcome to the forum. If you could be more specific. Size..wall thickness..mat'l and even a picture or Cad model.

We could probably help you out.

Thanks
    Last edited by Marky; 01-05-2012 at 06:44 AM.

I am not a piping designer, but I have always understood that flange class ratings were roughly also their pressure ratings, thus a 300 lb (or class 300) flange has a nominal 300 psi pressure rating. But that isn't always the case. Check this document:
    http://www.ebaa.com/pdf/Connections.FL-01.pdf
    Check with your flange supplier. The actual rating will probably depend on the fluid contained and the max temperature.
    And if you are going to weld this thing on your vessel, be very careful. ASME pressure vessel and welding codes will probably apply.
    I'm sure some others on this forum have more experience with piping design than I do, and can give you a better answer.

Technical Fellow
    Quote Originally Posted by dmkdonnelly View Post
    Marky and JB have both provided an excellent start for you. Things to note as JB has stated are fluid, temperature range (most important) and certifiable welding standards.

Overall, I would not comment further on recommendations for this issue. As JB suggests, check with the flange manufacturer (get it in writing from their Engineer or their ISO-spec sheet) as they will be the ones backing away from it if it ruptures in use.

A 1000-psi anything is flirting with danger for the under-informed. If you have to ask here then you need the flange manufacturer's help, not a faceless person on a forum in the great ether. Me included!