Thread: How do I launch a 60kg object 6 metres at 45 degrees

Associate Engineer

How do I launch a 60kg object 6 metres at 45 degrees

Can't say the full application due to NDA's but its basically for a travelling show.

The requirement is to eject an object 40 to 60kg object a distance of approx 20 feet (6 metres) - at a launch angle of 45 degrees.

I understand this is quite a mass and I'm investigating various ways of acheiving it. Currently looking at compressed air cylinders or using a couple of large preloaded springs. Any ideas would be appreciated. Are there any methods I should avoid?

You haven't really given enough information to get much of an answer. Have you worked out the ballistics? Do you know your launching speed? Do you know how much distance you have for acceleration? Manual or automatic? Repeated action? Safety issues? Do you have a budget? Building one unit or several? Is the geometry of your "object" defined? What kind of power is available? Check "Punkin Chunkin" videos for ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by jboggs View Post
    You haven't really given enough information to get much of an answer. Have you worked out the ballistics? Do you know your launching speed? Do you know how much distance you have for acceleration? Manual or automatic? Repeated action? Safety issues? Do you have a budget? Building one unit or several? Is the geometry of your "object" defined? What kind of power is available? Check "Punkin Chunkin" videos for ideas.
    I love watching the videos of the championships. Some great ways to weaponize pumpkins.

Are you going for 2 different contraptions or a single contraption with adjustable launch mechanism? If you try to launch a 60kg 'thing' from something designed for 40kg - you wont be getting 45 deg of anything, let alone 20 feet.