Thread: Control engineer vs electrical engineer?

Associate Engineer

Control engineer vs electrical engineer?

Hi, I graduated college 4 years ago with an electrical engineering degree and emphasis in power.

My first 2 years of work after graduation was as an electrical engineer in the MEP industry, doing construction documents.

My last 2 years I have been working as a controls engineer at a company where we do PLC/automation projects.

My question is what is a better field (meaning more stable future job prospects and income).. the electrical power engineering field or controls/automation engineer?

I liked both. But I want to pick one to focus on. I love the idea of having my PE license and stamping drawings and doing more power work, but I love start ups and troubleshooting PLCs, etc. I also feel like if I stay in this automation field I won't be looked at for any future power jobs and my PE stamp I could get wouldn't mean anything.

Search the internet for job opening for each profession. I doubt you be able to pick your next job opportunity btw.

Banned
    Both field have their own advantages and both field have high pay jobs..but if you have more intrest to work with PLC then go with control/automation engineering

Banned
    First of all u should know the difference between engineering and controlling. Both r different. Electrical enginnering deals with the power , energy generation and transmission. as well as all the machines thats works on electrical phenomenon.
    Control systems are the derived branch of core electrical as electronics. They deals with the control and operation. u can say automation.

Automation is vast field. Earlier it was handled by Mechanical Engineers, now by electrical engineers due to machine design.
    Control Engineer could be either Electrical, Mechanial or Electronic Engineer, which deals with automation of plant.
    Electrial Engineer deals with all kind of electric machines.
    electrical engineer for power and electrical maintenance but control engineer for automation like plc and scada

Banned
    To be honest, they both inspire confidence and seem like a pro, but I would prefer a control engineer. To be honest, I don’t even know why, it just seems to me more professional

Banned
    Both of field have more and more advantages both are good profession and both field have high pay jobs . Now it depend on your choice.

Both job types usually require travel. The power transmission field usually requires more unless you are working for a local municipality. Have you done medium or high voltage? Do you already have a PE stamp? If so what are the long term options for the company you worked under to get it?
    I am also a MSEE & MSEM. I migrated over to the control side some 30 plus years ago and it has been very satisfying. One huge thing to consider; a PLC is a PLC when you get past the brand on the cover and learn the differences in the software interface. At the end of the day it is all assembly language at the core. Where it really gets fun is on the HMI and PC control side and learning/using different bus systems. If you get locked into an control company that does mostly packaged units it can get pretty boring and repetitive. A true integrator is a very challenging environment and fun to work for.

Associate Engineer steve_griffing's Avatar
    I got my PE stamp in Control Systems Engineering, since my undergrad and most of my professional engineering work centers around the control, automation, and manipulation of cyber/physical systems. There's definitely a market for CSEs that is distinct from the Electrical/Electronic Engineers. I saw that IEEE and NCEES adjusted the Electronics PE exam to Electronics and Controls. That might be a good fit for you, since it's an EE stamp, with a bit of CSE flavor, and you won't have as much of a Mech focus on fluids and control valves.