Thread: A325 Type 3 bolts, Coating?

Associate Engineer

A325 Type 3 bolts, Coating?

Hi there, I have a question regarding Grade A325 Type 3 bolts, these are weathering steels, it is stated in the old standard (ASTM A325) that these bolt are plain finished but in the new standard (F3125) I can’t find any references of that statement.

My question is: Can this bolts be galvanized or Zinc plated? Since this are weatering steel it sounds like they cant.

Weathering steel, is generic trademark COR-TEN organization. You can buy a ASTM A325 fastener zinc plated..

Associate Engineer
    Yes, but with a CORTEN steel you want the surface to corrode, that’s how you get the protection in the first place. Why would you try to avoid the corrosion products to be form (with coating) if the corrosion products protects you from further corrosion deterioration? Why not just Type 1 A325 coated bolt instead of a plain weathering steel? It sounds logic to me, I just want to find a bibliographic reference about it.

Have they made a change to the way the bolts are noted/marked, such as A325 is alloy where as A325 is weathering? is this any use?

Mechanical Properties of ASTM F3125/F3125M Grades A325 & A490 Structural Bolts with Nut Compatibility

Or is this from the old standard?
    Attached Images Attached Images