Thread: How to find roll center for a vehicle with infinite instant centers in the suspension

Associate Engineer

How to find roll center for a vehicle with infinite instant centers in the suspension

How do you the find the roll center for a vehicle with infinite instant center in the suspension for all 4 wheels?

The Roll Center is a calculated point versus a physical place. To find it you must first locate the Instant Center both left and right. The RF Instant Center is found by drawing a line through the center of the RF upper A-Arm ball joint extended out through the center of the A-Arm inner pivot point on the frame.
    Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.

Associate Engineer
    Yes but, its rare but some suspensions have instant center for the left and right at infinity. How do you find it when the instant centers are at infinity? Ive been looking all over and I cant find the answer

Define or provide an engineering drawing with "instant center for the left and right at infinity."
    Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.

Associate Engineer
    I couldnt find any engineering pictures but Ill keep looking. Its basically where the lines youd draw to get the instant center never meet, theyre parallel. The wheels can only move up and down