Thread: True Position Calculation Question

ajaxn007

True Position Calculation Question

Hello folks

Firstly, thanks to everyone who takes the time out on this forums to help out. Really appreciate.

Ok bit of a newbie and requesting some help on a true position calculation

Attached a sample format, am very clear about the dimension Y (which would help me with delta Y)

For the X my belief is, since the datum C is specified on axis, it would be "theoritical centre of the width W" and the basic X dimensions would be D2/2 (for inner holes) and D1/2 for outer holes.

1. Would this be correct? and

2. Practically how would I be able to measure this? Say on a CMM...how would the datum be determined as 0 point for X?

3. Am sure we cannot but throwing it out there to check it (to get a "physical reference" some people have been recommending to subtract D2 from W and then divide it by 2 to get the centre of the outside holes (i think that is not correct but do not have a reference for the correct theory as well). Closest I can think of is Fig 4-33 of ASME Y14.5-2009. There is no note on the dwg which states holes are equidistant from the edges so a highly doubtful

If somebody could guide me here, would appreciate. As always thanks for your time and reading this - Appreciate
    Attached Images Attached Images

Let’s work on your question to ensure we are all on the same page..

The image you attached is very incomplete so I will need to estimate much to provide you with an answer.

For the X my belief is, since the datum C is specified on axis, it would be "theoritical centre of the width W" and the basic X dimensions would be D2/2 (for inner holes) and D1/2 for outer holes.

According to the drawing, Datum C which I think you are saying is “X” is not an axis it a center plane derived from the left and right side surfaces (dimension D) specified as Datum C.

To establish Datum C with a CMM one would instruct the CMM that they are creating a datum center plane and then touch the CMM stylus on many surface areas/points high and low on both the left and right sides of the feature of size “D”. The CMM will then determine a center plane or zero for measurements left and right.

When establishing a zero(s) from a specified datum(s) we always use the surface(s) associated with the Datum specification.
    Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.