Thread: linkage - keep a component in horizontal position

Associate Engineer

linkage - keep a component in horizontal position

Hello to everyone.
    I would like to design a linkage able to keep a component in horizontal or vertical position doing a linear trajectory.
    This component must remain in horizontal position during all the motion. I've thought to use a guide but in this application I cannot use a guide. Then, without using a guide, how can i solve a problem like this? Do you have any interesting suggestions?

For example. Let's assume to consider this linkage

If I want to connect a component in the point P and keep this component fixed in vertical position how can I do?

Thank you to everyone
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by supremoking90; 12-27-2017 at 02:35 AM.

Move the lower pivot point to a position directly underneath the upper pivot point and L2 distance from it. Then you will have a simple four-bar linkage. The moving bar will remain in a vertical orientation throughout its entire path. That path will be circular, but its orientation will remain vertical.

True linear motion is almost impossible using nothing but fixed joints and rotating linkages.

Move the lower pivot point to a position directly underneath the upper pivot point and L2 distance from it. Then you will have a simple four-bar linkage. The moving bar will remain in a vertical orientation throughout its entire path. That path will be circular, but its orientation will remain vertical.

True linear motion is almost impossible using nothing but fixed joints and rotating linkages.