Thread: 3d scanner for quallity control

ntrams

3d scanner for quallity control

Can structured light scanner be used for quality control or only laser scanner is suitable? What I need is to get accurate 3d model and compare it with existing cad one. Till this moment in my previous companies i used different scanners but they all were laser ones. No my boss tells me that he want us to use Space spider, which is structured light, but i don't think it can be accurate enough. I mean he show me that manufacturer itself tells that it can be used for quality control.
    Last edited by ntrams; 02-22-2018 at 04:08 AM.

Depends what you're scanning. If the target is stationary, then structured light is more than adequate. If the target is going to experience significant motion whilst being scanned, argue for a laser scanner instead.

Quote Originally Posted by ntrams View Post
    Can structured light scanner be used for quality control or only laser scanner is suitable? What I need is to get accurate 3d model and compare it with existing cad one.
    I doubt it unless the required mechanical tolerances are very loose.
    Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.

There are way better laser scanners than those spider folks. Service is really bad and we could not keep ours running - shop around.

Quote Originally Posted by ntrams View Post
    Can structured light scanner be used for quality control or only laser scanner is suitable? What I need is to get accurate 3d model and compare it with existing cad one. Till this moment in my previous companies i used different scanners but they all were laser ones. No my boss tells me that he want us to use Space spider, which is structured light, but i don't think it can be accurate enough. I mean he show me that manufacturer itself tells that it can be used for quality control.

Banned
    Try for 3 in 1 printer. You can easily copy, scan and printer within machine at the same time.