Thread: designing of a feed magazine

Associate Engineer

designing of a feed magazine

design a feed magazine for laptop computer hard drives to integrate into an existing electronic data destruction machine.this machine will be used to dispose of informaation technology devices and media.

it is to be designed for 4 inches wide x 5 3/4 inches long x 1 inch thick desktop computer hard drives and to handle laptop computer hard drives that are 2 3/4 inches wide x 4 inches long and vary from 5/16 inches thick to 11/16 inches thick.the majority of these drives are 5/16 inches thick.

the magazine must hold a minimum of 12 drives.

i am required to come up with a production magazine system that easily adapts to the existing machine and should be simple and safe to use.not requiring special training to install,load and use.

suggestions and ideas please

Technical Fellow
    Macha, most of your postings are asking for start-up design ideas. Wouldn't it be better if you said, "this is what I have now, how can I improve on this?"

That would certainly encourage me to look at some designs and offer suggestions, but if it comes to figuring a design for you from scratch then I am going to want $250/hour and a minimum of 10-hours just to get started. We are here to help, not do you stuff for you, so count me out on this one.
    Last edited by PinkertonD; 01-17-2012 at 09:35 AM.

Reads like a class project to me...

Technical Fellow
    Quote Originally Posted by RWOLFEJR View Post
    Reads like a class project to me...
    We are doomed if this is the state of the Engineering stock coming up through the ranks.

"I'm too lazy to think, I'll get some idiot on the internet to do it for me." Little wonder companies are outsourcing and everyone sits around wringing hands and whining.

You will get much better response here by stating your problem (which you have done), and then describing your ideas or concepts on how to solve it. Or maybe describe some particular sticking point you're having. Don't just jump on here and say "How do I do this guys?" Until we see that you have put some thought into it yourself, we're not likely to offer our help.

Android
    I think I would go for a circular magazine with radial slots, stepper motor to rotate, covered to restrict access to one slot at a time with a cover/door that would have to be closed before magazine would rotate(stop the operator accidentally leaving their hand in the slot) with a air cylinder to move the drives into the feed rollers and from there into the shreader, as the rollers feed the last of the drive through they trigger the table to rotate.