Thread: Blind Rivet Clearance Hole

Associate Engineer

Blind Rivet Clearance Hole

Howdy ALL:

I am redesigning some sheetmetal enclosures to make it easier to fixture them for welding. In the past we have generally farmed out this kind of work, but the fabrication part (welding) of the enclosures costs more than half the finished enclosure.

We do welding here, and part of the year we have time to do the enclosure welding ourselves...

I am planning to use both Cleco temporary rivets and blind steel pop rivets in this process. The Cleco will be used for fixturing on control box enclosure (must be fully welded) and the steel pop rivets on the battery enclosure.

My question, is a standard rivet design issue that I haven't been able to find an answer for.

Is it reasonable and prudent to use a clearance hole for the "outside" part to allow for manufacturing tolerance?
    So, outside part clearance hole, inside hole properly sized for rivet grab.

Basically, just as you'd do with a thread cutting screw, clearance on the part against the fastener head, but proper sized hole on the tapped part.

I did a proof of concept on a small sheetmetal cover a few months back, and it worked great and all the holes lined up. I did not use a clearance fit on the outside part. I am concerned though, that our suppliers won't be able to deliver on perfect holes every time, and so are they.....

I just haven't found any documentation that shows any clearance holes....

Tahnks

TB

Associate Engineer
    I think I located my answer.

"If hole alignment is a problem, putting a slot in the joint material facing the setting tool and using a hole of the recommended diameter in the second joint material will give the riveted joint its maximum strength."

Link removed

This indicates that's fine-ish. Not sure about slotting exactly, the hole could be off in either direction but it is probably more likely to be off perpendicular to the sheetmetal bend axis....

I'm thinking I'll give it a shot and see how a clearance hole works...

thx

TB

Actually - here is the answer..

https://www.engineersedge.com/rivet_application.htm
    Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.