Thread: Help needed with transistor choosing please

zhanghuihui189

Question Help needed with transistor choosing please

Hi forum,
    I'd like to control a small DC motor pulling from a 7.2V battery using a switching transistor connected to one of the EZ-B digital ports and wanted to be 100% sure I was doing this properly. I think the way it works is that I connect the base of the transistor to the PWM pin of one of the Digital Ports, the collector to the positive lead of my battery, and the emitter to the DC motor, right? I have checked out some info such as what is transistor and it's functions and characteristics, still
    which transistor should I be using?
    In case anyone is trying to use a transistor to control a small DC motor, I got it working using a TIP120 Darlington Transistor. I connected the base to a PWM pin of one of the Digital Ports, the collector to the ground from the motor, and the emitter to the ground from the battery pack.

Associate Engineer
    Most of power transistors in TO-220 or DPAK (TO-252) packages will do for such light duty applications. TO-247 would be a definite overkill. Small (few cm2 area) radiator is advisable for continuous operation.
    Last edited by olegnizhnik; 06-01-2018 at 05:32 PM.