Thread: multi-machine operation

Associate Engineer

multi-machine operation

Hello Community!

I'm starting my thesis in a medical device company next month. The task is to introduce a multi-machine operation. So far, 4 machines are occupied by 4 people, but the goal is to minimize.
    These machines are already set up as an island.

Do you have any ideas or an approach on how I would scientifically go to this topic/ task?

I appreciate every contribution, every help.

If you need more information, please let me know!

greeting
    Josh

Josh, welcome to the community. If you want any of us to have a clue what you're talking about, and therefore give you a helpful response, you will have to share much more detail. And ask specific questions, not general ones. What kind of machines? As production machines or products? Minimize what? What are the people doing? Are they operators or patients?

First, I would start with these videos and then come back and better define you goals (requirements) and solutions you can explore.

Manufacturing Work Cell Optimization

Assembly Line Balancing
    Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.

Associate Engineer
    Thank you for your replies!

It is about machines that foil a product sterile. These are cycle times of approx. 300,000 pieces per day. These four machines are built as a group and are currently controlled by 4 people. The aim is to rationalize unnecessary work steps and generally to increase productivity.

The question which I ask myself, because I come directly from the study, how I approach this story or at which levels I analyze.

Probably I should get a picture of what activities directly required for the operation itself. The only question is how do I pursue this scientifically? Maybe you have a possible methodology? A quantitative assessment or something.

First, get the end item engineering drawing or whatever specification defines the final product and study it. Are the specifications needed, required, missing, etc..

Second, get the manufacturing work instructions or travelers - study them.

Third, do a time study on both the machines and operations people. I prefer to video record so that I can study over and over again.

Forth, get any six sigma data, time lost data, waste etc.

Fifth, talk with the process operators (those four people) ask about known problems, where they spend time what are the high impact on their time etc..

Sixth, get involved, spend a day or more in operations and get your hands dirty.

After you know all that there is to know about the manufacturing operations of that end item make a list of potential improvements and get a competent review.
    Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.

Associate Engineer
    Thanks for your support

I am now in production every day and deepen my knowledge about the process and the machines.

Of course I have to follow the whole project methodically for the thesis. Could you maybe recommend literature for this?
    Above all, I miss the red path for the introduction of the multi machine operation.

Above all, I lack a standard about all the relevant time types, with which I can determine the employees and the machine