Thread: Help with C02 Canister Regulation

Associate Engineer

Help with C02 Canister Regulation

Hello,

I am building a simple pneumatic system which is powered by disposable 16g CO2 canisters. I'm continuously blowing either tubing or my ptc fittings, all of which are 1/8"npt->1/4" tube from Pneumadyne.
    From what I have read, when you puncture one of these things it unloads at >800psi.

Would you recommend I beef up my tubing/fittings? If so, please provide links.

Or, should I figure out how to regulate the flow coming directly out of the canister? Again, please provide links.
    I have tried 3 different pierce CO2 adapters/"regulators", but even with a tiny turn of the valve I am getting blowouts.

Thanks for any input!

What peak pressure is the system operating at?
    Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.

Associate Engineer
    From what I gather, the CO2 cartridges put out around 850psi when they're first punctured.

Lead Engineer
    OK, but what is your desired/required operating pressure for your system operation?

Associate Engineer
    Hard to say what is optimal since I haven't tested the new design, but the system tops out at 200psi. I'm running a standard compact cylinder off 16g CO2 canisters, using a standard 3-way switch from Pneumadyne. My guess is that I want to be in the 100-150 psi range.

Here is the regulator I am considering buying... just wish there was a cheaper/simpler option.
    https://www.*********a/Regulator-Char...HY06P8FYB1444X

Cheers,

Whatever verified peak pressure that your system operates at you should select and design all system components to operate at a pressure not less than 1.5 x greater. The factor of safety is to protect you and other operators as well as ensure system dependability.
    Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.

Associate Engineer
    Thanks for that, makes sense. However, this is just a personal project, and I know there are many other products out there that use CO2 canisters and don't operate at 500psi.

If you have suggestions for a different portable/reusable gas supply I would like to hear it, or if you can think of a better regulator option.

Lead Engineer
    There is very little gas volume in these small cylinders (approx 120 cu in at 150 psi). Are your sure that will be sufficient to operate your system for the operating time you want/need?

Associate Engineer
    Yes, I'm sure, thanks.

Really just here for potential alternatives to this regulator:
    https://www.*********a/Regulator-Cha...HY06P8FYB1444X

Cheaper or smaller, or both.

Cheers,

Quote Originally Posted by dangerabercrombie View Post
    Yes, I'm sure, thanks.

Really just here for potential alternatives to this regulator:
    https://www.*********a/Regulator-Cha...HY06P8FYB1444X

Cheaper or smaller, or both.

Cheers,
    Amazon links and other marketing links not allowed.... Find the specifications and post here.