Thread: Compression fittings and ferrule compression

b5032574

Compression fittings and ferrule compression

Hi all,
    Just need a point in the right direction, im trying to calculate the force applied to a ferrule as torque is applied to the nut on a compression fitting. or more accurately the force applied based on revolution of the nut.
    My question is, is this force calculated the same as any other bolt clamping force even though this force is effectively applied within the bolt itself, I think?
    stemming from that, most sources i can find to do with this seem to assume that the material being clamped is stiffer than the clamping object and isn't significantly deformed. compression fittings rely on the ferrule being deformed, and again confused if im barking u the wrong tree with my method?

Cheers
    Dan

Lead Engineer
    The actual force applied will be determined by the crushing resistance of the ferrule and the contained tubing when the clamping contact between those two components is sufficient to form a pressure tight seal at the rated pressure of the fitting. The maximum available force before fitting/ferrule thread failure can be determined in the same manner as that of a nut/bolt assembly.

b5032574
    thank you so much for your reply, Ive been trying to find this for weeks .