Thread: Damper for Linear Motion

benjaminguarino

Damper for Linear Motion

Hi. I am designing a mechanical compression fixture for a test process. The fixture is required to extert 3-4 lbf. onto a product, and due to other constraints a mechanical path was chosen for this design. Because the product height can vary, albeit only +/-0.25", a constant spring was chosen to provide the compression force.

The spring is function fine, but user of this fixture has the ability to "start" the compression rapidly. This is done by releasing the shaft which is loaded by the spring. Normally the operator willl release then lower the shaft slowly, but people are people and they may just let the shaft slam into the part. This is not desirable...

Does anyone know of a mechanical motion damper? It would have to affect only the speed and the not the final force of the compression.

The shaft moves about 1.5" in total with only the last 0.5" possibly contacting the part. So I am looking for something to slow the motion over 1" then get out of the way. Any ideas?

Principle Engineer
    search "dashpot"

I've had good experience with products from Airpot Corp. But they are very sensitive and must be used correctly.

Search internet for "Airshock" - another possibility
    Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.